Sunday, July 16, 2017

Xterra Lory Race Report

Xterra Lory was my first planned Xterra Triathlon for the season.  So, what is an Xterra triathlon?  Xterra triathlons are swim-bike-run events where the bike and run take place on mountain trails instead of the road.  They are some of my favorite races because it brings variety in biking and running instead of just putting my head down and biking and running on the road.  Xterra Lory was my first ever Xterra triathlon a few years ago.  It was my introduction into a "new" sport where I found I was not very competitive.  My first race was a disaster but every year I have been improving.

Xterra Lory takes place at Lory State Park outside of Ft. Collins, Colorado.  The swim is .5 miles and takes place in Horsetooth Reservoir and the bike and run takes place in the park.  The bike portion is a 12.5 mile, two loop course which is not very technical.  The run is 5 miles and includes a run straight up the mountain.  My first year, I walked most of the uphill, it was rough.  This year my goal was to run the entire time.


Beautiful race venue.



The race started and I had a great swim.  I found a good pace and someone to swim next to so I had to sight (the process of looking ahead to ensure you are swimming straight) less.  I exited the water feeling good and ready for the bike.  Since the course is not very technical I can compete slightly better then in more technical courses.  I was able to overtake a few racers but had a few overtake me.
The transition from the bike to the run was blazing fast and I immediately took over two runners (both younger than me) which felt pretty good.  After you hit the first mile marker the 1.5 mile climb starts.  My goal was to not stop running, even in the steep parts.  And I achieved my goal, all while overtaking runner after runner.

After making to the highest point I began my quick descent.  At one point I got going a little too quick, my foot caught a rock and I went flying off the trail rolling into the bushes.  I quickly stood up and kept running.  It took me out of my groove for a bit but I soon found it again and finished strong.  With an improved time over my previous race, mostly from the run, and finished in the top third in my age group.  It was a great day!


My battle scars from my fall.  And a coke of course.


No comments:

Post a Comment